What is Bio Sci 199?
Bio Sci 199 is an opportunity for undergraduate students to perform supervised undergraduate research alongside a mentor while getting graded units in research!
The School of Biological Sciences believes that successful participation in creative research is one of the highest academic goals its undergraduates can attain. Approximately 1,000 students are enrolled in and conduct experimental laboratory, field, or clinical research as an apprentice scientist under the supervision of a professor in one of the more than 250 laboratories in the School of Biological Sciences or the School of Medicine.
Gain Lab Skills
Polish your basic lab or clinical skills.
Participate at Events
Participate in on campus student research conferences (UROP, SURP, Excellence).
Become a published writer.
How to Start Bio Sci 199
In order to get into a Bio Sci 199 lab, undergraduate students must:
1. Complete Bio Sci 194s OR the 3 UCLC modules.
2. Find a Faculty Mentor that is in the Bio Sci 199 program.
Learn more from the Bio Sci 199 information drop down menu below or watch the videos below: “Demystifying Bio Sci 199 and Undergrad Bio Research” and “How to Submit Bio Sci 199 Paperwork.”
Demystifying Bio Sci 199 and Undergrad Bio Research
How to Submit Bio Sci 199 Paperwork
Helpful Bio Sci Research Information
General Requirements for Bio Sci 197, 198, 199
1. Students must be in good academic standing – major and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- UCI Alumni (former UCI undergraduates) can enroll through UCI Division of Continuing Education (during Fall, Winter, Spring quarters) or Summer Session.
2. Bio Sci majors must pass Bio Sci 94: Organisms to Ecosystems and complete the three mandatory UC Learning Center (UCLC) health & safety modules or Bio Sci 194s PRIOR to enrollment. (Bio Sci 194S: Safety & Ethics removed as a prerequisite as of Summer 2020).
- Non-Bio Sci majors must complete the three UCLC health & safety modules PRIOR to enrollment. Non-Bio Sci majors are exempt from Bio Sci 94.
3. Click Here for instructions on how to complete the UCLC health & safety modules.
4. Students must at least be in their spring quarter of their 1st year.
5. The Bio Sci 197, 198, and 199 program is only for current and former UCI students only. **For Bio Sci 197, 198, please contact your PI for an enrollment form. Once received, please submit the signed enrollment form to Biosci199@uci.edu.
Bio Sci 199 Packets/Required Paperwork
Packet A (Basic Science Laboratory)
If you are performing basic science research or working in a basic science laboratory (no UC Health patients or human subject intervention), please print, fill out and turn in Packet A. If you are still unsure which packet to complete, please refer to the gray Comments box on the Web Schedule of Classes.
Packet B (Clinical Packet)
If you are: a) working with Human Subjects (including control subjects) and/or b) working with patients or at any facility where patients are present, please print, fill out and turn in Packet B . The below sites are some of the locations where patients and research subjects are seen. If you are still unsure which packet to complete, please refer to the gray Comments box on the Web Schedule of Classes. Please note: Fee to meet with UCI Student Health Center will be accrued.
- UC Irvine Medical Center – Douglas Hospital
- UC Irvine Building 200
- UC Irvine Medical Center Building 55
- Gottschalk Medical Plaza
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Santa Ana Family Health Center
- Anaheim Clinic
- Centerpoint Child Development Center & School
- Beckman Laser Institute (complete packet if work is with human subjects and/or patients)
- Hewitt Hall (aka Institute for Clinical Translational Sciences; complete packet if work is with human subjects and/or patients)
- Long Beach VA Medical Center
- Long Beach Memorial Medical Center and affiliated hospitals
- Fairview Developmental Center
- CHOC Children’s Hospital
- Other UC Irvine School of Medicine locations
Continuing Bio Sci 199 Research Students – The packets are valid for one academic year (Summer through Spring). Students who submitted the packets this past summer, they are valid until the end of spring quarter.
To obtain the updated immunization verification, please follow the instructions in Packet B.
Continuing Packet A – please submit a new packet to Bio Sci Student Affairs Office before the deadline.
Continuing Packet B – please complete a new packet and meet with Kristin or Sherry to go over the documents. This new packet will be valid until next Spring. We recommend repeating the computer based training for a refresher, but it is not mandatory. Reprint the certificates for the Annual Training, and Fire Extinguisher Safety Training. To obtain the updated immunization verification, make an appointment with UCI Student Health Center at (949) 824-5301 as soon as possible. Students who cannot complete the packets by the deadline, please consider enrolling in Bio Sci 199 the following quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to conduct enrollments in a timely manner.
How to Find a Bio Sci 199 Faculty Sponsor
It is the student’s responsibility to find and contact their faculty sponsor. Below are some links to where you can find faculty sponsors:
Click here to view tips and tricks on how to find a faculty sponsor.
- Make a list of 4 or 5 labs that you are interested in. Note: some students have had to contact 15+ professors before they find someone.
- Do some research before contacting the professor. I.E. Reading a journal article published by professor. Science Librarian can help you.
- If the faculty DOES NOT have a course code on WebSoc, please have faculty contact Bio Sci 199 Coordinators to check eligibility by emailing email@example.com
- Email the list of professors to schedule an appointment. In your email please include the following:
– Your career goals & interests
– Why you want to conduct work in the particular arena
– Time that you are available, quarters & hours per week
- Enjoy your discussion with professor; ask any questions that are important to you, such as what are the opportunities for own project and co-publishing a paper.
- Most Professors want a 1 year minimum commitment, some may want more. Be prepared with how much you can offer.
How to Enroll in Bio Sci 199 for AY 2021-22
Fall 2021 packets will be available mid-August. Please check back in the coming months!
- Fully read all of the Program Standards & Policies
- Apply for Bio Sci 199 by contacting faculty you wish to do research with.
- Once a position is secured make arrangements with professor as to # of hours and # of units
- Log-in to the Research Dashboard to complete the appropriate 199 packet (depending on location of research)
- Follow all instructions and do all paperwork
- Submit packets via the Research Dashboard
- Once the packets have been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation instructing you to enroll in the specific faculty’s Bio Sci 199 via WebReg. THIS PROCESS CAN TAKE UP TO ONE BUSINESS DAY.
- The deadline to submit a packet for Bio Sci 199 is the Friday of the 2nd week by NOON, (note: summer I and II deadlines are Friday of 1st week).
- Once the packet is approved, students must add by the ADD/DROP deadline, Friday of the 2nd week by 5PM.
For new Bio Sci 199 students, you must complete Bio Sci 199 packet (see below) to start research. Bio Sci 199 packets are valid for one academic year (summer, fall, winter, and spring). The deadline to submit a packet for Bio Sci 199 is the Friday of the 2nd week by NOON, (note: summer I and II deadlines are Friday of 1st week.) The ADD deadline for fall, winter, and spring quarter enrollment is always the Friday by 5PM of the 2nd week of each quarter. The deadline for Summer Session 1 & 2 is the Friday of first week of each session.
For continuing Bio Sci 199 students, all packets will expire spring quarter every year, please remember that you will need to submit a new Bio Sci 199 packet for Summer or Fall Quarter if you plan to continue in research.
NOTE: ADD/DROP DEADLINES for each quarter are strictly enforced.
How to Enroll in Bio Sci 197, 198, 199 for Summer Session 2021
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR RESEARCH ENROLLMENT DURING SUMMER 2021:
If adding Bio Sci 197, 198, or 199 will put you above the 10 unit limit, please complete an excess unit petition FIRST, prior to your applying for research. By doing this, there will not be a delay in the approval process. You can access the “Petition to take more than 10 units for Summer 2021” form HERE.
**Click here to view the enrollment procedures for Summer Session 2021.**
Important Vaccination Information for Packet B
Bio 199 Clearance: COVID Vaccination and TB Testing
The following information is important for any student with plans on receiving the COVID vaccine AND registering for Bio 199 in Spring 2021 or any future quarter. It is important to note, you MUST perform TB testing (TB Skin Test or TB Blood Test) PRIOR to receiving the COVID vaccine. This includes services performed on the same day. If the COVID vaccine is administered before TB testing is performed, you MUST wait 4 weeks after your second dose of the COVID vaccine to perform TB testing. Therefore, you are strongly encouraged to perform TB testing now to avoid being denied Bio 199 clearance due to COVID vaccination. TB testing can be performed with your primary care provider or at the UCI Student Health Center. Follow the instructions below to order TB blood testing at the UCI Student Health Center.
How to Order TB Blood Test:
- Log in to the Student Health Portal using your UCInetID.
- Select ‘Messages’ from the menu.
- Click on ‘New Message’.
- Select ‘I want to request services and/or orders at Student Health Center.’
- Select ‘Order a Tuberculosis (TB) blood (T-spot) test at the lab’.
- Complete form and click on Send.
For additional questions, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: We are working on creating a new and improved Research Dashboard for the new academic year. Fall 2021 packets will be made available in late-August. Please check back in the coming months!
Packet submission DEADLINES for Bio Sci 199:
Summer Session 1: 1st Friday of the session by NOON
10-Week Summer Session: 2nd Friday of the session by NOON
Summer Session 2: 1st Friday of the session by NOON
Fall: Friday of Week 2 by NOON
Winter: Friday of Week 2 by by NOON
Spring: Friday of Week 2 by NOON
The Bio Sci 199 course must be added by the campus add/drop deadline, Week 2 during the academic year and week 1 of Summer Session 1 & 2, by 5 p.m.
Prerequisites for Undergraduate Research Updated: Info & Instructions on UCLC Health & Safety Modules
- As of Summer 2020, the Bio Sci 194S: Safety & Ethics course is NO LONGER a prerequisite to Bio Sci 197, 198, and 199. In place of Bio Sci 194S, all students who are interested in participating in research must complete THREE health & safety modules on UCLC.
- Students who have already passed Bio Sci 194S DO NOT have to complete the UCLC modules.
- Click here for more information and instructions on how to complete the UCLC modules (PDF)
Bio Sci 199 Prepares and Empowers Future Biologists
Students enrolled in Bio Sci 199 develop new scientific skills and knowledge while training with professors who are on the cutting edge of research and discovery in the biological and medical sciences making headlines today. Students enrolled in Biological Sciences 199 and who meet the eligibility requirements also have an opportunity to present the results of their research endeavors to peers and faculty by participating in the Excellence in Research Program. Because of the opportunity to actively participate in the undergraduate research training program our students have an understanding of and an appreciation for the research process which they could not have obtained in any other fashion.