Health Sciences Advising Introduction
Applying to health professional schools is daunting, and strong applicants start early in college! Bio Sci Advisors have compiled information to help throughout your time preparing to apply to professional school. All Bio Sci advisors are trained to provide pre-heath advising. We invite you to talk with us about your application and strategy.
Spring 2023 Dates:
- Zoom: April 18, 11 a.m. -12 p.m.
- In person (BS3-1305): April 19, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Zoom: May 11, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
- In person (BS3-1305): May 12, 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- In person (BS3-1305), June 5, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Zoom: June 6, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Register for a pre-health workshop here: https://forms.gle/YhehtGaZcYgxxowKA
How to Contact Us for Pre-Health Advising
For health profession advising, use Bio Sci Chat or schedule a pre-health appointment with an advisor:
- Chat for quick questions (15 minutes or less): https://undergraduate.bio.uci.edu/student-affairs/chat/.
- Appointments for conversations longer than 15 minutes: Schedule on UCI Appointments.
All Bio Sci Advisors are also pre-health advisors. Appointments are available in person or remotely.
Before scheduling an appointment, please watch the Preparing for Health Professional Schools : Part 1 & 2 video clips.
New incoming freshman or transfer students will have the opportunity to learn more about pre-health careers and requirements in Bio Sci 2A or Bio Sci 190.
Preparing for a Health Profession
Preparing for Health Professionals Schools: Campus Resources Part 1
Preparing for Health Professionals Schools: Admissions Requirements Part 2
- AADSAS – Associated American Dental Schools Application Service
- Dental School Requirements
- Dental schools – American Dental Education Association
- Mouthing Off: Blog of the American Dental Student Association
- Dental Applicant and Matriculation Statistics
Medical (Allopathic and Osteopathic)
- AMCAS – American Medical School Application Service
- Allopathic medical schools – Association of American Medical Colleges
- AAMC Video Interview Tool for Admissions (VITA) *new
- AACOMAS—American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service
- Osteopathic medical school –American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- Medical School Requirements
- Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR)
- Osteopathic Medical College Information Book
- Road map to medical school
- Medical Applicant and Matriculation Statistics
- Nursing programs and resources – American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- OPTOMCAS-Optometry Centralized Application Service
- Optometry School Requirements
- Optometry schools – Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry
- Optometry Admissions Blog
- PharmCAS—Pharmacy Centralized Application Service
- Pharmacy School Requirements – ref. PSAR Table 1, 6, & 8. and Course Pre-Requisites by School
- Pharmacy schools – American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Is Right For Me
- PTCAS—Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service
- Physical Therapy programs – American Physical Therapy Association
- CASPA—Centralized Application Service for Physicians Assistant
- Physicians Assistant programs – Physicians Assistant Education Association
- PAEA Program Directory
- PA-CAT Admissions Entrance Exam *new
- SOPHAS—Schools of Public Health Application Service
- Public Health programs – Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health
- VMCAS—Veterinary Medical College Application Service
- Veterinary School Requirements
- Veterinary medical schools – American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges
Application Resources for All Health Professions
- Financial Assistance and Free Resources For Pre-Health Applicants
- How to ask for a Letter of Recommendation
- Clinical and Community Volunteer Opportunities
Additional Online Resources
- ExploreHealthCareers – “Everything you want to know about a wide variety of health careers”
- Literature Suggestions – A list complied by NAAHP pre-health advisors, current medical professionals, and health profession admissions representatives
UCI Health Professions Programs
- UCI School of Medicine
- UCI School of Medicine Postbaccalaureate Program (AE) and UCI School of Biological Sciences Baccalaureate Premedical Program (CC)
- UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing | Contact and Email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UCI School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences PharmD. Program *Inaugural class entering 2021