Please check this page regularly for the most up-to-date information regarding Bio Sci course enrollment.
Last update: 5/13/2021
Fall 2021 Enrollment:
New Only Restriction (NOR) in Fall 2021:
- NEW ONLY restriction will be removed.
- About the “New Only” restriction: Under the “Nor” column in the Schedule of Classes, you will see the number of seats reserved for new, incoming students.
- Example: E106 Lecture A– 24 of the 90 seats available are reserved for new, transfer students entering UCI in fall:
If a current, continuing student drops E106, the “Status” column will immediately change to “Open” and the seat becomes available to current students.
- Make sure to always read the information in the comments sections of the Schedule of Classes.
- Check the Schedule of Classes frequently for seats that may become available in not major restricted, “New Only” status courses!
- New Only Restrictions will be removed from Bio Sci 97 & Upper Division Bio Sci courses July 30th by noon.
- New Only Restrictions will be removed from Bio Sci 93 courses August 30th by noon.
Course Prerequisite Clearance Form:
If you completed the prerequisite for a Bio Sci course outside of UCI or via AP credit, you will need to submit a Course Prerequisite Clearance Form to be cleared for enrollment. You DO NOT need to submit a form if you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite of a course you will take in the winter.
Examples of students who need to submit a form:
- Transfer students who completed Bio Sci 93-99 equivalent courses at a community college.**
- Students who earned a 5 on the AP Biology exam and waived taking Bio Sci 93 and/or 94 at UCI.
The form does NOT override major or repeat restrictions. If you are not a major that requires the Bio Sci course you are requesting to enroll in, or if you are attempting to enroll to repeat the course, you will be held to the major and repeat restriction lift date and your request will be processed to be ready at that point.
The form can be found HERE.
July 30th by noon:
- Specific “Major only” (L) restrictions will change to “School major only” (N) on the date/time listed. All majors under the School of Bio Sci will be able to add into previously L restricted courses.
The following Upper Division Bio Sci courses will initially be restricted to specialized majors (L) that require the course to meet graduation requirements:
- E155 (L-restricted for Exercise Sciences majors ONLY)
- E166L (L-restricted for Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors ONLY)
- M114 Dis 2 (L-restricted for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology and Microbiology & Immunology majors ONLY)
- M116L Lab 2 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology and Exercise Sciences majors ONLY)
- M124A Dis 2 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology majors ONLY)
- M131 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology majors ONLY)
- M143 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology majors ONLY)
August 30th by noon:
- Major and New Only restrictions will lift from all Bio Sci 93 courses.
September 1st by noon:
- 18 unit restriction lifts.
- You will need to submit a request for excess units via our “Forms, Policies and Services” page: https://www.bio.uci.edu/forms-and-services/
September 3rd by noon:
- Repeat and major restrictions will be removed at noon; courses will be open to all students who meet prerequisites.
Wednesday, September 22nd by 5pm:
Early Drop deadline for ALL Upper Division Bio Sci Labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170:
ALL Upper Division Bio Sci Labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170 have an earlier drop deadline of Wednesday, September 22nd by 5pm, NO EXCUSES. This information is published on the Schedule of Classes in the comments section and above every course that has an early drop date. It is your responsibility to note this early drop deadline and remove the course from your schedule if you do not intend to complete the course. Late drops or switches (which require a drop to add another lab/section) will not be allowed after the early drop deadline.
Course Specific Information:
**Bio Sci 100–Scientific Writing Enrollment Information:**
- Last day to drop the course is Wednesday, September 22nd by 5pm–No exceptions.
- If there are open seats after September 23rd, students interested in enrolling in Bio Sci 100 need to contact Alejandra Gutierrez beginning Thursday, September 23rd.
- If space is limited and we cannot accommodate all interested students, we will enforce the following enrollment preference ranking:
- 1st attempt, Bio Sci/Pharm Sci/Bio Medical Eng-Premed majors (in order of graduation application)
- 1st attempt, other majors
- Extension/Concurrent Enrollment–Division of Continuing Education
Bio Sci 191A Global Sustainability
The enrollment in this course is managed by the instructor. Please reach out to Dr. Pratt for an authorization code.
Specialized Major Required Seminars/Lectures:
The following courses will remain “Major only” (L) restricted throughout the enrollment process. These courses are only open to specific majors:
- E107–Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors ONLY
- E117A–Exercise Sciences majors ONLY
- N115A–Neurobiology majors ONLY
- N120A–Human Biology majors ONLY