Please check this page regularly for the most up-to-date information regarding Bio Sci course enrollment.
Last update: 11/9/2020
Winter 2021 Enrollment:
Course Prerequisite Clearance Form:
If you completed the prerequisite for a Bio Sci course outside of UCI or via AP credit, you will need to submit a Course Prerequisite Clearance Form to be cleared for enrollment. You DO NOT need to submit a form if you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite of a course you will take in the winter.
For example, you will be able to enroll in Bio Sci 94 in winter if you are currently completing Bio Sci 93 in the fall. However, if you completed the equivalent of Bio Sci 93 at a community college or received AP credit, you DO need to submit this form.
Examples of students who need to submit a form:
- Transfer students who completed Bio Sci 93-99 equivalent courses at a community college.**
- Students who earned a 5 on the AP Biology exam and waived taking Bio Sci 93 and/or 94 at UCI.
The form does NOT override major or repeat restrictions. If you are not a major that requires the Bio Sci course you are requesting to enroll in, or if you are attempting to enroll to repeat the course, you will be held to the major and repeat restriction lift date and your request will be processed to be ready at that point.
The form can be found HERE.
**TRANSFER STUDENTS WHO ENTERED UCI Fall 2020: If you complete the equivalent of Bio Sci 97 Genetics at your community college prior to enrolling at UCI, you have been cleared to enroll in Bio Sci 98 and do not need to submit a Course Prerequisite Clearance Form request for this course. Please refer to the course plan you were provided during your summer Transfer Advising session and your Bio Sci 190 notes to determine if you need to enroll in Bio Sci 98 in winter 2021.
December 4th by noon:
- Specific “Major only” (L) restrictions will change to “School major only” (N) on the date/time listed. All majors under the School of Bio Sci will be able to add into previously L restricted courses.
The following Upper Division Bio Sci courses will initially be restricted to specialized majors (L) that require the course to meet graduation requirements:
- E112L Lab 3 (L-restricted for Exercise Sciences)
- E136 Lec A (L-restricted for Exercise Sciences)
- E183 Lec A (L-restricted for Exercise Sciences majors ONLY)
- M125 (L-restricted for Microbio & Immuno majors ONLY)
- M144 (L-restricted for Microbio & Immuno and Biochemisty & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M116L Lab 3 (L-restricted for Exercise Sciences)
December 14th by noon:
- Major restrictions will be lifted from BIO SCI 94
December 18th by noon:
- Repeat and major restrictions will be removed at noon; courses will be open to all students who meet prerequisites.
- 18 unit restriction lifts.
- You will need to submit a request for excess units via our “Forms, Policies and Services” page: https://www.bio.uci.edu/forms-and-services/
January 4th by 5pm:
Early Drop deadline for ALL Upper Division Bio Sci Labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170:
ALL Upper Division Bio Sci Labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170 have an earlier drop deadline of Monday, January 4th by 5pm, NO EXCUSES. This information is published on the Schedule of Classes in the comments section and above every course that has an early drop date. It is your responsibility to note this early drop deadline and remove the course from your schedule if you do not intend to complete the course. Late drops or switches (which require a drop to add another lab/section) will not be allowed after the early drop deadline.
Course Specific Information:
**Bio Sci 100–Scientific Writing Enrollment Information:**
- Last day to drop the course is Monday, January 4th by 5pm–No exceptions.
- If there are open seats after January 4th, students interested in enrolling in Bio Sci 100 need to contact Alejandra Gutierrez beginning Tuesday, January 5th.
- If space is limited and we cannot accommodate all interested students, we will enforce the following enrollment preference ranking:
- 1st attempt, Bio Sci/Pharm Sci/Bio Medical Eng-Premed majors (in order of graduation application)
- 1st attempt, other majors
- Extension/Concurrent Enrollment–Division of Continuing Education
Bio Sci 191B Global Sustainability
The enrollment in this course is managed by the instructor. Please reach out to Dr. Pratt for an authorization code.
Specialized Major Required Seminars/Lectures:
The following courses will remain “Major only” (L) restricted throughout the enrollment process. These courses are only open to specific majors:
- D113–Genetics majors ONLY
- E117B–Exercise Sciences majors ONLY
- N115B–Neurobiology majors ONLY
- N120B–Human Biology majors ONLY