Please check this page regularly for the most up-to-date information regarding Bio Sci course enrollment.
Last update: 03/28/2023
Spring 2023 Enrollment
Course Prerequisite Clearance Form:
If you completed the prerequisite for a Bio Sci course outside of UCI or via AP credit, you will need to submit a Course Prerequisite Clearance Form to be cleared for enrollment. You DO NOT need to submit a form if you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite of a course you will take in the Fall.
Examples of students who need to submit a form:
- Transfer students who completed Bio Sci 93-99 equivalent courses at a community college.**
- Students who earned a 5 on the AP Biology exam and waived taking Bio Sci 93 and/or 94 at UCI.
The form does NOT override major or repeat restrictions. If you are not a major that requires the Bio Sci course you are requesting to enroll in, or if you are attempting to enroll to repeat the course, you will be held to the major and repeat restriction lift date and your request will be processed to be ready at that point.
The form can be found HERE starting Monday, February 13.
March 13th by noon:
- Specific “Major only” (L) restrictions will change to “School major only” (N) on the date/time listed. All majors under the School of Bio Sci will be able to add into previously L restricted courses.
The following Bio Sci courses will initially be restricted to specialized majors (L) that require the course to meet graduation requirements:
- 4B (L-restricted for Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors ONLY)
- D170, Lab 5 & Lab 6 (L-restricted for Nursing Science majors ONLY)
- E115L (L-restricted for Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors ONLY)
- M116 (L-restricted for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M116L, Lab 1 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M121L, (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M137 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- N113L, Lab 1 (L-restricted for Neurobiology majors ONLY)
UPDATE 3/13: Lab enrollment will remain frozen, even on formerly L restricted sections. Check this page often for additional updates. L restrictions changed to N restrictions for all other listed courses.
March 20th by noon:
- Repeat restrictions will be removed.
- Major restrictions will be removed from upper division bio electives. All students that meet the prerequisite will be able to enroll.
- The major restriction will lift from upper division bio labs, pending availability. Refer to this website for updates. [UPDATE (3/13): The School of Bio Sci restriction will not lift on Bio Sci labs for Spring 2023.]
- 18-unit restriction lifts.
- You will need to submit a request for excess units via on the Bio Sci Student Affairs Forms page.
March 30th by 5pm:
Early drop deadline for ALL Upper Division Bio Sci labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170:
ALL Upper Division Bio Sci Labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170 have an earlier drop deadline of March 30th, by 5pm, NO EXCUSES. This information is published on the Schedule of Classes in the comments section and above every course that has an early drop date. It is your responsibility to note this early drop deadline and remove the course from your schedule if you do not intend to complete the course. Late drops or switches (which require a drop to add another lab/section) will not be allowed after the early drop deadline.
Course Specific Information:
Bio Sci 191CW Global Sustainability
The enrollment in this course is managed by the instructor. Please reach out to Dr. Pratt (email@example.com) for an authorization code.
Specialized Major Required Seminars/Lectures:
The following courses will remain “Major only” (L) restricted throughout the enrollment process. These courses are only open to specific majors:
- D114–Genetics majors ONLY
- E117C–Exercise Sciences majors ONLY
- N120C–Human Biology majors ONLY
- M115–Nursing Science majors ONLY
Updates after Schedule of Classes went live:
Bio Sci E190/E126: Parasitology (2/21/23)
- This course was approved by the Academic Senate to be a permanent course (Bio E126). The Schedule of Classes was updated from the Bio E190 (Special Topics) to Bio E126 on 2/21/23. A required discussion was added on 2/22/2023.
Bio Sci E190: Biochemistry of Animals in their Environments (2/22/23)
- This course was added to the course offerings for the quarter. The prerequisite is Bio 99. Students interested in enrolling should contact Dr. Connor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bio Sci Upper Division Lab enrollment is frozen (3/9/23)
- Check back often for updates regarding lab enrollment.
Bio Sci 99: Molecular Biology (3/13/23)
- A new section of Bio Sci 99 was added as Lecture D.
Additional seats added to select upper division Bio electives (3/14/23)
- Additional seats were added to Bio D190, Bio E187, and Bio N117. Many other upper division electives still have available seats.
Bio Sci Upper Division Lab enrollment resumes (3/28/23)
- The School of Bio Sci and senior restriction remains in place.