Please check this page regularly for the most up-to-date information regarding Bio Sci course enrollment.
Last update: 08/03/2023
Fall 2023 Enrollment
Course Prerequisite Clearance Form:
If you completed the prerequisite for a Bio Sci course outside of UCI or via AP credit, you will need to submit a Course Prerequisite Clearance Form to be cleared for enrollment. You DO NOT need to submit a form if you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite of a course you will take in the Fall.
Examples of students who need to submit a form:
- Transfer students who completed Bio Sci 93-99 equivalent courses at a community college.**
- Students who completed Bio Sci 93 in Summer 2023 or earlier and want to enroll in Bio Sci 93L.
The form does NOT override major or repeat restrictions. If you are not a major that requires the Bio Sci course you are requesting to enroll in, or if you are attempting to enroll to repeat the course, you will be held to the major and repeat restriction lift date and your request will be processed to be ready at that point.
Effective Spring 2023, prerequisite clearance will remain in place for School of Bio Sci students and will not be removed at the end of each quarter. You can check your existing clearances in Student Access under Course Eligibilities. (Student Profile–> Enrollment–> Course Eligibilities).
The form can be found HERE starting Monday, May 8.
July 31st by noon:
- “New Only” restriction removed from all Bio Sci courses, except for Bio Sci 2A, 2B, 2D, and Bio Sci 93, Bio Sci 93L.
- Specific “Major only” (L) restrictions will change to “School major only” (N). All majors under the School of Bio Sci will be able to add into previously L restricted courses.
New Only Restriction
The “NOR” column shows how many spaces have been reserved for students starting at UCI in Fall 2023. In the example below, 12 of the 97 seats in lecture A of Bio E106 are reserved. After 82 continuing students enroll, the “Status” will switch to New Only. If a continuing student drops, the status will flip back to open, allowing another continuing student to enroll.
The following Bio Sci courses will initially be restricted to specialized majors (L) that require the course to meet graduation requirements:
- E155 (L-restricted for Exercise Science majors ONLY)
- E166L (L-restricted for Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors ONLY)
- E115L (L-restricted for Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors ONLY)
- M114, Dis 2 (L-restricted for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M114L, Lab 1 (L-restricted for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M116L, Lab 5 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M118L, Lab 1 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
- M124A, Dis 3 (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology majors ONLY)
- M143, (L-restricted for Microbiology & Immunology and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology majors ONLY)
August 8th by noon:
- Newly added sections of Bio M118L will open for enrollment. Major and senior restrictions will still be in place for the new section.
August 25th by noon:
- Major restrictions will be removed from Bio Sci 93 and Bio Sci 93L.
- Bio 2A restriction will lift. Students will be free to change their sections.
September 1st by noon:
- The major restriction lifts from all remaining Bio Sci courses.
- The repeat restriction will lift from all Bio Sci courses.
- 18-unit restriction lifts.
- You will need to submit a request for excess units via on the Bio Sci Student Affairs Forms page.
September 27th by 5pm:
Early drop deadline for ALL Upper Division Bio Sci labs and Bio Sci 100:
ALL Upper Division Bio Sci Labs and Bio Sci 100 have an earlier drop deadline of September 27th, by 5pm, NO EXCUSES. This information is published on the Schedule of Classes in the comments section and above every course that has an early drop date. It is your responsibility to note this early drop deadline and remove the course from your schedule if you do not intend to complete the course. Late drops or switches (which require a drop to add another lab/section) will not be allowed after the early drop deadline.
Course Specific Information:
Bio Sci 93L **Updated 8/30/23**
Due to space limitations, we will be enforcing the corequisite requirement of Bio 93/93L. Students that completed Bio 93 or H93 prior to Fall 2023 cannot be accommodated.
Bio Sci 191A
Bio Sci 191A is restricted to students completing the Global Sustainability Minor. Contact Dr. Jessica Pratt (email@example.com) for authorization.
Specialized Major Required Seminars/Lectures:
The following courses will remain “Major only” (L) restricted throughout the enrollment process. These courses are only open to specific majors:
- E107–Ecology & Evolutionary Biology majors ONLY
- E117A–Exercise Sciences majors ONLY
- N115A–Neurobiology majors ONLY
- N120A–Human Biology majors ONLY
Updates after Schedule of Classes went live:
Bio Sci E190 rescheduled as Bio E132 (5/17/23)
Bio E132: Diversity of Fishes was added. It replaced the special topics course Bio E190 with the same title. Prerequisite checking was updated to search for Bio 94 or H94 instead of Bio E106.
Bio Sci N120A Lecture C cancelled (7/31/23)
Bio N120A Lecture C was cancelled. All newly admitted Human Bio majors must switch to Lectures A or B.
Bio Sci M118L (8/3/23 – 8/7/23)
Thursday morning discussions have a time change and will start 30 minutes earlier, at 9am. New labs are created for Thursday mid-day. (Labs 2 & 3) Enrollment in these new labs will open to Bio Sci seniors on Monday, August 7 by noon.