Student Affairs Visitation Policy
UCI ID Card Policy
All students MUST present their UCI Student ID card in order to receive services from our office. This Includes walk-in advising, appointments, questions at the front desk, obtaining signatures, etc. Please make sure you have your UCI ID card with you at all times. If you do not have it, you will be asked to retrieve it or get a new card in the UCI bookstore.
Week 2 Add/Drop Policy
The School of Biological Sciences strictly observes the University’s add/drop policies.
Requests to add or drop courses after Week 2 are only permitted due to extenuating circumstances which prevent a student from attending and/or completing a course. Students who feel they have a justifiable reason for making such a request should submit an Enrollment Exception application via Student Access. Students should be prepared to provide supporting documentation of their extenuating circumstances.
***ALL Upper-Division Labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170 have an earlier drop deadline. PLEASE CHECK THE SCHEDULE OF CLASSES FOR THE SPECIFIC DEADLINE EACH QUARTER.***
Requests will not be considered if submitted for any of the following reasons:
- The student did not know the deadlines, or did not understand the Add/Drop process
- The course is not required to meet Major, School, or University requirements
- The student did not meet the proper prerequisites for the course
- The student is receiving a poor grade because of difficulties with the course material or is under a heavy course/work load
Submit an Enrollment Exception Request on Student Access.
Upper Division Bio Lab Drop Policy
***Upper-Division Labs, Bio Sci 100, and Bio Sci D170 have an earlier drop deadline. Late drops will not be granted.
- For Fall 2021, the deadline is Wednesday, September 22 @ 5:00 p.m.
- For Winter 2022, the deadline is January 3rd @ 5:00 p.m.
For all classes at UCI, you may repeat only if your most recent grade was C- or below.
For the first 16 units you repeat, the new grade replaces the old grade in the calculation of your GPA (even if the new grade is lower). The old grade still shows up on your UCI transcript, but it no longer affects your UC GPA. After the first 16 units of repeat, both grades are averaged.
Many departments restrict students from enrolling in repeat courses until later in the registration period. Please check the department comments section on the Schedule of Classes for the repeat policy.
Overlapping Course Policy
Bio Sci will not allow students to enroll in classes with overlapping times; students need to ensure they do not enroll in classes that have overlapping final exam periods.
Grade Option Change Policy
The School of Biological Sciences strictly observes the University’s change of grade option policy. Changes in grade option are only permitted during Week 1 through Week 10 of each quarter. Requests for change of grade option during Week 3 through Week 10 must be submitted as an Enrollment Exception application via Student Access.
Science courses required for School of Biological Sciences majors (i.e. Bio Sci, Chem, Math, and Physics courses) must be completed for a grade. Intention to take other eligible courses or change one’s major out of the School of Biological Sciences does not justify a late change of grade option.
Approval to change the grade option for an upper-division Bio course will only be approved if all major requirements the class could satisfy are already complete.
Students have the option to withdraw from the entire quarter — Withdrawing from one course is not possible. You may withdraw from the University during any quarter, before finals week (Friday of Week 10). If you withdraw after the 6th week of a quarter, a grade of “W” will appear on your transcript for each course.
- If a student was on contract when they withdrew, then a student will be readmitted on an academic contract for initial remaining terms.
- If a student is in good standing, then a first readmission request will be granted.
- If the readmission is a second request or beyond, then the student must wait one full quarter before readmitting.
Majors and Minors
Change of Major Policy
Bio Sci, Bio/Educ and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology change of major requests will only be reviewed during the first two weeks of every quarter. The review dates for all other majors will be during spring quarter. More details to be announced.
Learn more here: changeofmajor.uci.edu
Unit Requirements and Progress
Students majoring in the School of Biological Sciences must follow the deadlines below to be eligible to graduate for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Graduation Application Deadlines:
- Fall: Friday of 9th week Fall
- Winter: Friday of 6th Week Winter
- Spring: Friday of 6th Week Winter
- Summer: Friday of 9th Week Winter
*Due to high demand of upper-division bio sci labs, we advise submitting your graduation application ASAP. Graduation applications can be used to assess lab seat needs and prioritize assistance.
Intent to Graduate in the 5th year – If you intend on staying at UCI for five years (transfer students – four years), then you are encouraged to meet with an academic counselor to discuss your plans.
Normal Progress within BioSci
In order to remain a Biological Sciences major, students must meet the following benchmarks:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Maintain a minimum Bio GPA of 2.0 (this GPA includes only Bio Sci courses required for your degree)
- Complete Chem 1A-1B-1C/1LC, with minimum grades of C- by the end of Spring quarter of your 2nd year
- Complete Bio 93-94 with minimum grades of D- by the end of Spring quarter of your 2nd year
- Complete Chem 1LD, 51A- 51B/51LB – 51C/51LC with minimum grades of C-, by the end of Spring quarter of your 3rd year
- Complete Bio 97-98-99, with minimum grades of D-, by the end of Spring quarter of your 3rd year. *Although a D- is required to progress within Bio Sci courses, please keep in mind that grades consistently below a C will negatively impact your GPA.
If you are unable to complete these courses by the time specified, you will be required to change your major out of the School of Biological Sciences.
*If you entered UCI as a freshman, you must complete the Bio Sci degree within five (5) years.
*If you entered UCI as a transfer, you must complete the Bio Sci degree within four (4) years.
**It is your responsibility to confirm your eligibility for financial aid through all quarters, if you are a financial aid recipient.
Part-Time Study Petition
Students are expected to attend UCI full-time. Part-time is only granted for the following three reasons: occupation, health, or family responsibilities. Students will need to provide documentation supporting the reasons cited, which will be subject to approval by Bio Sci Student Affairs.
- Additionally, students in their final quarter of attendance (with a received graduation application on file), may be granted part-time study.
- Approved petition forms must be physically in the University Registrar Office, no later than 5PM, Friday of the third week of classes.